History of Thompson
Prior to 1928, Thompson did not have any mechanical
fire apparatus. Whenever a fire broke out, the people of
the township resorted to the old bucket brigade method
of fighting the fire.
In 1928 the township bought a used chemical truck
from Fairport Harbor Fire Department.
Lewis Binnig, now deceased, was in charge of
maintaining and seeing that the truck got to the fires.
If Mr. Binnig was not in town, Paul Robison, the present
(1976) Fire Chief, drove the truck. At that time there
was no organization known as the Thompson Fire
Department. Also, none of the men had any official
This chemical method of fighting fires was used from
1928 until February 4th, 1941, when the
department was reorganized. The Trustees purchased an
old Cleveland fire truck in 1942. This was a 1921 White
Truck without a cab.
Homer Crandall was appointed Fire Chief in 1942. Paul
Robison and Lewis Binning were made Assistant Chiefs.
In 1943 Mr. Crandall asked to be relieved of his
duties as Chief and the Trustees appointed Paul Robison
as Chief, a position he has held to the present day
Soon after the reorganizing of the department, a
program of dances and movies to raise money for
equipment was instituted.
In 1944 the department purchased a 1941 Dodge
chassis. The firemen worked two nights a week for over a
year building a water tank for the truck and mounting a
In 1952 the department purchased a new 1952 Ford V-8
chassis from Crandall Co. A new fire pump was installed
on this chassis and also, a 600-gallon water tank. Both
the 1941 Dodge and 1952 Ford were paid for with money
raised from dances and movies. After these trucks were
put into service, they were turned over to the Township
In 1957 the Trustees purchased a used 1955 Ford
Chassis. This truck was sent to the Harry Sutphin Co. in
Columbus and a new body and pump installed. The truck
carries 1,000 gallons of water.
In 1968 the Trustees bought a 1964 Chevy Step Van
that was converted into a rescue truck.
In November of 1965 the people of Thompson Township
passed a bond issue for a building site and the
construction of a new Safety Center which was completed
with the help of many volunteer hours by members of the
Fire Department.. New fire trucks and equipment have
been added as need arises. Several firemen have taken
specialized training in Emergency First Aid, E. V. C.
and Emergency Medical Technician.
Thirty volunteers are each paid one-dollar a year.
The men give unselfishly of their time toward the
protection of the town. In addition to fire fighting and
training, the men donate many hours toward building and
maintaining equipment every year.