In March of 1958, the Trustee’s of
Thompson decided to establish a Police Department. In that
same month, Mr. Allan Wilbur was appointed the first
Township Police Constable. Mr. Wilbur held that position
until January 1960 at which time Mr. John Gross was
appointed to serve as Constable.
Mr. Gross was given the first
"Red" light and decals, which he used on his
personal vehicle. Mr. Gross passed away in November 1960.
The Township was without police service until June 1961 when
Mr. James Fischbach was appointed to serve as Town
In October of 1963, a Police District was
established under an Act of the Ohio Legislature that
permitted such police forces to be founded. This was the end
of the Constable Era and the Thompson Township Police
Department was established. Under the old Constable system:
jurisdiction was only on Township roads and only certain
crimes could be investigated.
The new Police Department could now operate
more successfully with a wider authority and greater Police
Constable Fischbach was then appointed the
first Police Chief. Chief Fischbach was aided by his wife,
Eleanor, who dispatched calls from their home and acted as
the Police Secretary. The first Police car was a 1959 Ford
that was donated to the Township by Mr. James Sidley.
In 1971, a 1.7 Mil Operating Levy was passed
by the Voters, the first new cruiser was bought in December
In May of 1975, Mr. William Wholf was
appointed as Police Chief.
In October of 1975, the first full-time
Patrolman was hired. About this same time dispatching
service was established and the development of a Police and
Rescue service started to take place. Dispatching was still
done from Chief Wholf’s house, however the Police Station
and Dispatch Center was set up at the Town Hall. The
dispatch center was staffed only on weekends.
The Thompson Township Police Department has
since been commanded by - Chief Phil Morelock 1979-1983 and
Chief John Williams 1983-1993.
In 1994, present Chief Robert Fowler was
appointed Police Chief.
The Thompson Police Department is presently
located at 6784 Madison Road, Thompson, Ohio, 44086. The
Chief, one Sergeant, and three Patrolmen currently staff the